In 1527, when Raja Ajbar Sen set up his capital in Mandi he erected a palace with four towers. It was called Chawki. Later rulers added to the main structure. Moorscraft crossed Mandi in the mid-19th century, he described the palace thus: "The town is situated in the angle between the
At present, part of the palace has been converted into a Heritage Hotel and is named Raj Mahal Hotel. It is built like the colonial manor house and has an impressive facade. The inside is decorated with exquisite period furniture, ancient wall hangings, paintings, photographs mid swords and shields. Being there one breathes history.
Location: Mandi town is 150 Kms from Shimla.