Arki - The capital of the princely State of
Arki is one of the smallest town and a Nagar panchayat in Solan district of Himachal Pradesh. The town is notable for its fort built in late 18th century when Arki was the capital of the erstwhile hill state of Baghal. Arki is an excellent tourism destination and it is dearly known for its pleasurable weather condition. People visiting to Arki can spend a good time along with their families and can also enjoy the pleasant atmospheric condition. Summer here will be really good to enjoy, and winter will be extremely chill due to its existence at a higher altitude.
Arki is also very close to Shimla and it is merely simple to reach the destination. Arki is situated at outstrip of about 52 kms from Shimla. While taking your trip to Arki, visitors can enjoy the pleasure on seeing the hilly richness of the chir pines and deodars. Arki is still considered to be the best holiday land as people can find a good variety of entertainment and pass time here. Also, the Rocky Mountains, in the midst of trench valleys and sparse vegetation, surround the area of the town. Tourists traveling to Arki can enjoy the pleasurable atmosphere and cheer the scenic beauty of the nature. The town receives a moderate rainfall in the months of July and August. Withal, Arki is popularly known for several other striking factors and beautiful attractions. It is an excellent place to visit along with your people and make your trip as a long-standing memory in your minds and hearts. You can visit quite several places in and around Arki, while you take a trip to the place.
Sair Fair at Arki : The Sair Fair is an annual event held at Arki on sakranti of Ashwin (16 - 17 September) in the name of Banar Devta with much of fun and frolic. The fair is famous for buffalo fights. Local people train their buffalos for the event. The chief guest and other VIP's are called to attaend the Fair. The fair is attended by thousands of people every year. Besides people lay out stalls whereby buying and selling of various goods takes place. Cultural programmes like dancing and singing performances also take place.
Climate : Due to its high altitude, Arki enjoys a pleasant weather in the summers with the temperatures hovering between 26–32 °C. The winters are chilly and the temperature ranges between 4–8 °C. The rainfall is moderate and occurs mainly during July and August.
Places of Interest in and around Arki :
- Lutru Mahadev Temple : This was built in 1621 by king of Baghal. Shiva appeared in his dream and ordered him to make his temple. There is a statue of Shivalinga here. It is located 4 km away from Arki. The cave temple of Lutru Mahadev is a well known temple there at Arki. Others include the temple of Shakni Mahadeva, Bhairaon and Durga Mata.
- Jakholy Devi Temple (Bharda Kali Temple) : This temple was made around 1650. This temple is 7 km away from Arki. It is built by king of Baghal for Bhadra Kali. This temple is a shaktipith of Himachal Pradesh. Jhakoli temple at Shimla's Arki is a worth visiting place for the tourists.
- Arki Fort : This fort built between 1695–1700 by Rana Prithvi Singh is situated in the town. While Visiting Solan-Arki, This Beautiful fort is must to watch.
- Bhakhalag : Another place of interest is Bakhalag which is around 9 km from Arki. This small village is known for its scenic beauty.
- Polytechnic College named as Pt. GAURI SANKAR MEMORIAL Polytechnic college DEVNGAR