Kufri is a destination in its own right, this is 16 km from Shimla and has long been famous for its ski slopes and fine views. Known for its ski runs Kufri, attracts the largest number of tourists who come to Shimla. It has a backdrop of peaks covered with snow and a small zoo. Yak-ride is added attraction. Along the ridge shaded by tall trees runs a road to Chail, yet another tourist spot in solan District. The
The Himalayan Nature Park and the Indira Tourist Park are the near by tourist attractions, with with HPTDC's Cafe Lalit. Indira Park provides some great views of the nearby places. Here one can enjoy a Pony or a Yak Ride. In January, National Snow Statue Competition is conducted there. An annual winter sports festival is also organized every year in the month of February. Fagu, a star resort at the Fagu hill top, is situated 6 km from Kufri along the Hindustan-Tibet road. Kufri offers beautiful scenery which touches the heart of each visitor.
HISTORY : The region around Shimla including Kufri was once a part of the Kingdom of Nepal, until the area was ceded to the British Raj as part of the Sugauli Treaty. This region remained obscure from the rest of the world until the British 'discovered' it in 1819. The British made Shimla their summer capital in 1864 and it remained so until 1939. As Shimla gained importance, Kufri also began to be recognized as an important place to visit near Shimla.
HOW TO REACH : It is better to harbor on Shimla first and then you can avail of a hired car or a bus to reach Kufri. You have to ascend around 16 km towards east from Shimla. The place is positioned on Indian National Highway No. 22. Kufri is a regular stop for Himachal Pradesh Tourism Buses and other buses that travel between Shimla and Narkanda or up to Rampur (via Fagu). A Taxi ride will take less than an hour to reach Kufri from Shimla.
CLIMATE : All the seasons of nature visit Shimla during the year. The isotherms of Shimla happen to match with that of London throughout the year and is the reason for Britisher's choice of Shimla as its summer capital.
BEST TIME TO VISIT : The best time to visit Kufri is in summers, between April and June. However, one may also the place between December and February to enjoy snowfall and skiing.
ADVENTURE AND SPORTS :
Some great Hiking, some skiing, some beautiful scenes and a cool environment that's what Kufri is all about. It is famous for its trekking and hiking trails. Adventure-seeking travelers throng Kufri in winters to enjoy skiing and tobogganing along its snow-covered slopes.
- Winter Sports in Kufri : Tourists swarm to Kufri as the place is all about some exciting events like Hiking, some skiing, some Horse riding, so on and so forth. kufri is a great place for winter sports. In fact, Kufri boasts of the oldest ski slopes in the whole of Himachal. Adventure-seeking travelers throng Kufri in winters to take the sip from skiing and tobogganing along its snow-covered slopes. You can hire horses at Rs.30 to Rs.160 for trips around the valleys and hills. Skiing is famous in Winters at Kufri. Kufri is one of the oldest places in India to be associated with skiing and the slopes are still in use during winter. Above Kufri, the Mahasu ridge also has some good slopes. There is a range of slopes, including a beginner's run, an advanced slope and slalom run. Himachal Tourism offers ski courses, instruction and has equipment on hire at Kufri. The Skiing season spreads between November to February and the tourist inflow is at its peak during winters
- Other Winter Sports : You can also enjoy tobogganing, hiking and horse riding here. But do not expect European or American resort slopes or facilities. Kufri also has heli-skiing facilities. Kufri holds the National Snow Statue Competition sometime in January.
- Kufri Holiday Resort
- Hotel Wildflower Hall at Chharabra (3 km from Kufri).
- Shilon Resort, Shilon
PLACES OF INTEREST :
- Naldehra : Himachal Tourism Hotel 'Golf Glade' looks after the accommodation and food of the visitors to this pa -68 golf ground and pleasure spot. Lord Curzon, Viceroy of India (1899 to 1905). Was so enchanted by the beauty of the place that he named his daughter Alexandra Naldehra. More Information on Naldehra.
- Mahasu Peak : Mahasu Peak is the highest peak in Kufri, about 19 km from Shimla. Here one can take a short trek through the forest, enjoying the breathtaking views. One can hike through thick forest around Kufri to the Mahasu Peak- the highest peak in Kufri. Fagu and Koti situated nearby are ideal for trekking. Accommodation facilities are available at Kufri.
- Fagu : Quite and peaceful, 22 km away, it is a fine resort far from the madding crowd. It has a Rest House and Tourists Bungalow overlooking the Giri valley.
- Charabra : Hotel Wildflower Hall is located 13 km from Shimla, next to the village of Charabra, on the Shimla-Kufri road. Situated 8250 ft above sea-level, Hotel Wildflower Hall offers a spectacular view of the cedar forests and mountain ranges and breathtaking views of the Greater Himalayas.
- Indira Tourist Park : The Indira Tourist Park is near the Himalayan Nature Park and provides panoramic view of the locations around. Also Visit Chini Bunglow of Kufri.