FAST FACTS :
- Altitude : 1219 meters
- Best Time to Visit : Palampur has a mild climate and can be visited throughout the year. However, the best time to visit Palampur is between March to June and mid-September to November.
- Climate : In winter, the temperature can get quite low when heavy woollens are required. It is warm in summer so cottons / light woolens are recommended. It is warm during the day and cool in the evenings in summers.
- STD CODE : 01894
- Languages Spoken : Hindi & Himachali
- Accommodation / Where to Stay : HPDC hotels, private hotels, PWD and Forest Rest Houses, can be found around the area.
- Shopping : At Palampur you can buy souvenirs and local handicrafts for your friends back home. You can buy fresh tealeaves, local handiwork, Tibetan carpets and winter clothing. Actually, there are many things to buy from Palampur, especially the Kangra tea is world famous. Apart from tea, there are Tibetan handicrafts, carpets, woollens, thangka paintings on display. Tourists can get one of these items as a token of remembrance of Palampur.
- Distance : Dharamshala - 40 km, Kangra - 35 km, Baijnath - 16 km, Jogindernagar - 40 km, Pathankot - 124 km, Dalhousie - 176 km, Shimla 235 - km, Shimla - 270 km, Manali - 200km, Delhi - 550 km, chandigarh - 285km
HOW TO REACH / ACCESS / GETTING THERE :
- Air : Nearest airport is at Gaggal in Kangra, which is 37 km away from Palampur. Private taxi or bus ply regularly from airport to the city.
- Rail : There is no railway station at Palampur. Nearest Narrow Guage Railway Station is at Maranda (4km away) and Jogindernagar also 5km away. Nearest Broad Guage Railway Sattion is at Pathankot (124km away). Pathankot with connected with allmost all the cities in India.
- Road : Almost each and every part of the state is linked by roads. The Himachal Road Transport Corporation is running its buses covering the whole state. There is huge network of HRTC to cater the needs of the people.
- Internal Transport : To move in and around the city, one can avail the services of private taxi, auto or state corporation buses. Apart from such facilities, tourist can go for a long walk through lush green tea gardens or simply inside the city.
ADVENTURE ACTIVITIES :
- Hand / Para-gliding : Travel to Palampur for one of the most adventurous activities called hand/para-gliding. Bir and Billing are two main cities located near Palampur at a distance of 28 and 42 km respectively. Surrounded by lush green tea gardens, Bir serves as a landing ground for the hand gliders. The town of Billing can also be travelled for hand/para-gliding experience.
- Trekking : Several trek routes lead out of Palampur, particularly over the Dhauladhar Mountains towards the town of Chamba. Tourists can travel to Palampur for the memorable trekking experience, that covers some of the best treks like Sanghar Pass to Bharmour via Holi and from Baijnath over the Jalsu Pass to Bharmour. The best season for trekking is post-monsoon between mid-September to mid-October.