The Kangra town known to the ancients as Nagarkot, is the seat of Shri Bajreshwari Devi or vajreshwari Devi or Brajeshwari Devi. Known once for its legendary wealth this temple was raided by various invaders from the north. Destroyed completely in 1905 by an earthquake, it was rebuilt in 1920 and continues to be a busy place of pilgrimage. One of the most revered shrines in Chamba, Vajreshwari Temple is dedicated to Devi Vajreshwari, the Goddess of Lightening. It has also been built as per the Shikhara style of architecture. It is believed that Vajreshwari Temple is more than 1000 years old.
An eleventh century shikhara style temple dedicated to goddess Vajreshwari, the stunning Bajreshwari Devi temple is a stupendous example of superior stone carving. One among the two pillars situated at the entrance of the temple carries some inscriptions that gave some information about the period of construction of the temple. At the doorway of the temple there are two janitors holding staff in their hands. The exterior alcoves are enshrined with the images of four-armed Durga seated on a lion and Vishnu in Vaikuntha form. The marvelously carved pillars depict images of numerous gods and goddesses of the Hindu Pantheon. One among the hectic pilgrim center, Bajreshwari Devi Temple, is a must visit sacred spot that one should not spare with.
LEGEND OF BAJRESHWARI DEVI TEMPLE : Located in the old Kangra Township of the state of Himachal Pradesh, the Bajreshwari Devi Temple was built over the charred breasts of Sati. This shrine was renowned for its great wealth. Over the ages it has been plundered relentlessly. Mahmud of Ghazni was the first plunderer. He looted it in 1009. A mosque was built on the ruins and a garrison was left behind. After long thirty-five years, the local King regained its possession. The shrine was repaired and a replica of the idol was enshrined. The temple was filled with gold, silver and diamonds. In 1360, Firoz Shah Tughlaq again ransacked it. Later Emperor Akbar visited the temple with his Dewan, Toder Mal and restored its former grandeur. An earthquake in 1905 annihilated the temple but a new temple was raised on the same year.
At Kangra, one can also visit the historical Kangra Fort, the 'Gupta Ganga Kshetra' and also trek up to jyanti Devi temple situated on a hillock to the West of Kangra. There is a beautiful jain temple near the Fort. Kangra is 20 km from Dharamsala and about 30 km from Trilokpur.