Area - 5739 sq.Km.
Area under Forests - 2367 sq.km.
Population - 1338536 (M: 660224 - F: 678312)
Sex Ratio - 1025 Females on 1000 Males
Literacy Percentage -80.68 (M: 88.19 - F: 73.57)
Religion - Hindus , Sikhs, Tibetians & Muslims
Language Spoken - Hindi, Pahari, Punjabi and English
Headquarters - Dharamsala
Sobriquet - None
Altitude - Some parts of Kangra district like Milawan at 400 m altitude, while area of Bara Bhangal are at the altitude of 5500 m.
Dharamsala's Altitude - 1300 m to 1700 m
Temperature - Below 0° C in winters to 35° C in summers.
Best Season - March to June and September to November
Clothing required - Cottons and Wollens : Light to Heavy
Telecommunications - Worldwide links by the net, telephones and fax.
STD Code - 01892
Food Available - From Tibetan and Chinese to Indian available here in Hotels and Restaurants.
Tehsils - 14
Sub-Tehsils - 5
Villages - 3868
Panchayats - 760
HOW TO REACH / GETTING THERE / ACCESS :
- Air : The nearest Airport is at Gaggal, 13 Kms from Dharamshala (the head quarter of Kangra district) and 8 Kms from Kangra Town.
- Rail : Pathankot, the terminal of the broad gauge railway, is 90 km. There is also a narrow gauge train from Pathankot which comes up to Kangra (94 km). and from here Dharamshala is 17 km by road. The two railway stations viz. Kangra station and Kangra Mandir station are 3 km from the downtown.
- Road : Direct and regular bus service from Amritsar (190 km), Delhi (470 km), Chandigarh (240 km), Jammu (210 km), Shimla (300 km), Jalandhar (170 km), Chamba (192 km) and Manali (265 km).
- Air : By air upto Gaggal in Kangra or Amritsar and then 200 km by car or taxi or rail or upto kangra by air and travel another 17 km by taxi or car or bus.
- Rail : The terminal of board gauge train is Pathankot. Dharamsala is 90 km from here by road. By Narrow gauge upto Kangra which is 94 km and then by road 18 km.
- Road : Connected to all the major cities in india through Chandigarh and Shimla.