FAST FACTS :
- Altitude : Between 1250 m to 2000 m
- Area : 5739 sq. km
- Population : 13.39 lakh
- Temperature : Varies Between 35°C in summer and 0°C in winter
- Climate : During the summers the weather is mild and light woolens and cottons are recommended. Temperature can drop below the freezing point during the winters and heavy woollen clothes are required.
- Best Time to Visit : Mid May to Mid October.
- STD Code : 01892
- Avoiding : Do not Come in Mansoon Season, as there are very much possible chances of Land Sliding.
- Languages Spoken: Hindi, Punjabi, English and Pahari are understood and spoken by the people engaged in tourism trade.
HOW TO REACH / GETTING THERE / ACCESS :
Dhramsala is well connected by road. The nearest narrow gauge railhead is at a distance of 17 Km and the broad gauge railhead at Pathankot that connects all major cities is situated 90 kms away. The Nearest airport is at Gaggal in Kangra, is just 12 Km away from Dharmsala.
- Air : The nearest airport is Gaggal, 12-14 kms from Kangra town. Dharamsala can be approached by air from Delhi upto Gaggal.
- Rail : The nearest narrow gauge railway station is Kangra Town. The nearest broad gauge railway station is Pathankot. Pathankot is the nearest broad gauge railway terminal to Dharamshala. From Pathankot there is a narrow gauge railway line up to Kangra (94 km) and from here Dharamshala is 17 km by road. Trains from all over the country make a stop over at Pathankot and from here it is a three-hour journey to Dharamsala.
- Road : National and State Highways crisscross the area. Direct buses are available from Delhi, Chandigarh, Jammu, Shimla, Chamba, Manali etc. One can drive from Delhi via Chandigarh, Kiratpur, Bilaspur and it's an 8-hours journey. From Delhi and Shimla, luxury buses ply to Dharamsala.
- HPTDC Hotels : Hotel Bhagsu and Hotel Dhauladhar.
- Private hotels, Palampur tourist Banglow, and budget and medium range hotels available in Kangra.
- Guest Houses, PWD and Forest Rest Houses are also there in and Arround Dharamsala and are available at resonable prices.
Delhi - 514Km, Chandigarh - 239Km, Kullu - 214Km, Shimla - 238Km, Chamba - 192Km, Pathankot - 90km, Manali - 240km